For a variety of reasons, from lighter work schedules and more flexibility to less impact on schedules, the summer months are prime moving season. In fact, more than 35% of moves typically take place between June and August. But adding summer heat to an already stressful and strenuous move can be enough to make anyone think twice.
The good news is that with a few simple moving tips and tricks, you can make your summer move feel like a breeze. And if you are still looking for a new apartment in Columbus, Ohio, we have a few tips for your search, as well.
The Jerome offers boutique apartment living in the Victorian Village and only blocks away from the Short North, giving you a neighborhood feel while still being in the action. The Short North’s vibrant shops, restaurants, bars, and galleries are right around the corner, and the Italian Village and Downtown Columbus are just next door.
1. Plan Ahead – If you are using a mover, be sure to schedule well in advance – up to 6 to 8 weeks – to be sure they have availability on your move date. If you are moving on your own, rent a truck or portable storage unit well in advance. If moving from or to an apartment, be sure to confirm that portable units are allowed and any guidelines that need to be followed in using them. You will also want to check into reserving the elevator of your building, and parking options for the moving truck.
The Beeker is a five-story stunner at 5th and Summit is just around the corner from all Columbus has to offer in the Short North including restaurants, bars, shopping, and galleries. Conveniently located between OSU Campus and Downtown Columbus, there is easy access to all major highways and interstates opening up all of this wonderful city to explore.
2. Declutter – What better time to take inventory, and get rid of what you no longer need or want. Keep in mind, the less you have, the fewer boxes you need to move. Now is the time to sell, donate, or just get rid of anything you don’t need. Once you have decluttered, be sure to pack early. Last minute packing on moving day is only going to make the day more stressful for everyone.
985 High at The Castle features high-end apartments at the corner of W. 2nd Avenue and High Street, in Columbus, Ohio. It also offers a beautiful rooftop deck that features televisions, cozy seating, games, and a kitchenette – perfect to relax and unwind on after your summer move.
3. The earlier the better – The best way to beat the heat for your summer move is to literally get the biggest part of the move done before the day heats up. Schedule your moving company or rental truck for early in the day. Be sure to stay safe in the heat, even in the early part of the day. Drink lots of water, and be sure to have water and cool towels available for movers or those dedicated friends and family members who are helping you.
With glistening pool, ample outdoor space including grills, games, and fire pit, 24/7 hour fitness center, and theatre room, residents of Xander on State can enjoy many amenities without ever leaving home. And let’s be honest, the on-site management team and lobby coffee bar are both key to an easy, breezy summer move.
4. Pack smart – Be aware that not all household items will fare well in a hot moving truck and should be transported with you in your car or packed very carefully. Candles, plants and flowers, musical instruments, and electronics may not hold up well in the heat, so pack items together and be sure to unpack them first when you get to your new place. Also plan ahead label your boxes so that there is no doubt where they go when they are unpacked in your new apartment home.
40 West offers unique boutique apartment living conveniently located in the Victorian Village, close to the Short North and its vibrant shopping, dining, and entertainment choices. With spacious floor plans and expansive penthouse terraces, you’ll have plenty of room to live life better.
5. Welcome home – As you prepare for moving day by packing up your existing place, don’t forget about your new home. Be sure to have utilities turned on, and crank up that air conditioning on moving day. By cooling down your new place ahead of time, you’ll be able to better focus on the tasks ahead, instead of on that sweltering heat.
Within the RiverSouth district, 303 Front Street puts you within blocks of jobs, entertainment, shopping, and the parks, trails and civic spaces of the revitalized Scioto Mile, Bicentennial Park and Columbus Commons. And moving into these fully integrated smart apartments – including smart locks, thermostats, lights, and more – really is a breeze.